It was built at the beginning of Murova, the oldest part of Jesenice. It is first mentioned in 1460. It was first consecrated to St. Mary Magdalene and only later to St. Leonard.
It was built in the Gothic style, but in the 18th century the walls of the presbytery were covered with Baroque decorations. The church was renovated and reconstructed several times. Today it is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in Jesenice.